Sunil Gavaskar was a topnotch batsman and Sunil Gavaskar family came into prominence on account of his batsmanship. Sunil Gavaskar’s stats proved him well.
Sunil Gavaskar was an expert at fearless batting and is much celebrated as a well-rounded cricketer that India has ever produced. Sunil Gavaskar was the man of the hour to teach India how to execute a pull or hook shot against fast bowlers and later on, he became an inspiration for the likes of Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, and Sourav Ganguly. Sunil Gavaskar stats are fantastic.
What more about Sunil Gavaskar?
Sunil Gavaskar happened to be the cricketer to score ten thousand runs in Test cricket as well as the first cricketer to score more than thirty centuries. Gavaskar was no doubt the best batsmen among many during his era (1971-87) and in fact, still holds the record for the most runs scored in a debut Test series. Talking about unbeaten records, Sunil Gavaskar has indeed scored the most number of Test centuries against the West Indies and he has been the only cricketer to have scored a century as well as a double century in the same Test Match twice. There are several facts about Sunil Gavaskar that perhaps have never been unheard of and does surprise a person who is interested in knowing more about him. Sunil Gavaskar’s wife had much to say about him as well as Sunil Gavaskar son.
He was the first cricketer to score more than 10,000 runs in Test cricket and the only one to score three centuries in consecutive innings twice.
Sunil Gavaskar was known for his balance, technique, concentration as well as excellent judgmental skills. He was an efficient run-scorer an also a run machine who actually broke as well as re-wrote several batting records. He achieved the unachievable.
He was known as cricket’s Napoleon and the scoreboard when he played was a delight to be watched as he scored innumerable runs. It is understood that Sunil Gavaskar was a fan of legendary wrestler Maruthi Vadar and was keen on pursuing wrestling as a career but took to cricket fortunately for all his fans.
What facts there are to be known about Sunil Gavaskar?
- He could have been a fisherman.
- Rohan Kanhai happened to be Sunil Gavaskar’s idol.
- Sunil Gavaskar played a leading role in Marathi film popularly known as Savli Premachi.
- He sang a Marathi song “Ya Dunivemadhye Thambavaala Vel Konala.
- He has the experience of a match referee as well.
- Sunil Gavaskar also dabbled into writing and wrote several books.
- He was popular as the best fielder of his time.
- Sunil Gavaskar’s initial runs were leg byes.
- Gavaskar was in fact much unaware of the fact that he has scored his 29th Test century and did equal Sir Don Bradman’s record which stood for more than three decades. His score reached the milestone of 8000 runs in the same innings against West Indies and Prime Minister Mrs. Indira Gandhi personally honored him on the ground.
- He had a unique haircut.
- He was known for an unbeaten record
Therefore, the right-handed batsman played 125 Test matches for India, scoring about 10122 runs and has made 108 ODI appearances in which he scored 3092 runs. His best inning was in 1971 series against West Indies when he made 774 runs at an average of 154.80 which still happens to the highest number of runs scored by a batsman in debut series.