How to Get Rid of Yellow Toenails Sitting at the Comfort of Your Home:
What Exactly is a Yellow Nail?
‘Yellow nail(toenail)’means a possible fungal infection which is very common in both men and women. It can also mean that nails are stained due to some allergic reaction and over usage of nail polish. This is not always the case, but sometimes the symptoms can be more serious like lung infection, arthritis, and other lymphatic problems. But, how to get rid of yellow nails? Before that, let us see the possibilities for this condition.
Possible Causes and Reasons for Yellow Toenails:
Presence of yeast infection inside the toenails can be a significant factor, apart from this, conditions like warm, moist and dark surroundings due to wearing of socks and not maintaining enough hygiene also leads to the yellow toenail which is an ugly sight but not dangerous. It is still advised to cure the infection before it spreads to the roots.
We can get rid of yellow toenails by following:
- Simple and natural treatments as long as we take adequate care and hygiene.
- Keeping our toenails warm, dry and avoiding too much usage of nail polish.
- Frequent changing of socks and wearing shoes so as to give comfort and provide ventilation.
If followed regularly it will boost the process of healing and further avoid the yellow toenails to go worse.
Sometimes new nails grow back which is healthy, but in case the nails stay yellow we should look for deeper problems to it, like vitamin or mineral deficiency. Taking multi-vitamin supplements will be of great help. In rare cases, the nails may remain yellow in spite of taking treatments, in such situations it may indicate the presence of skin cancer, diabetes, psoriasis or thyroid conditions.
Top 10 Home Remedies that can Help You to Get Rid of Yellow Nails:
Yellow nail condition affects all the nails and toenails by turning half of the nail into yellow or brownish in color showing signs like cracked or brittle nails, lusterless, dull, thick nails, bad odor, and pain. These symptoms can be treated by home remedies without wasting money and time on spas or medications.How to get rid of yellow nails using home remedies are listed below:
Remedy – 1: Lemon
Lemon is an excellent natural bleaching agent and its juice acts as an astringent which effectively removes all yellow color from your toenails or nails.
- Fill half a bowl with lemon juice and dip our stained toenails for about 15 minutes. Scrub the toenails using a brush to remove the yellow discoloration. Wash off your hands with warm water and apply any moisturizer to keep the nails soft and supple. Do this twice daily.
- Baking soda exfoliates the skin to clear yellow toenails or nails. For this, take 1 lemon and add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and make a fine paste. Now apply this mix on the nails and allow it to dry for 10 minutes and then wash with warm water. Do this twice daily for good results.
- Glycerin brings shine and moistures the toenails. Add equal quantities of lemon juice and glycerin and apply the mix on the nails for 15 odd minutes. Do not scrub the nails but just wash off with lukewarm water.
Remedy – 2: Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen Peroxide has exfoliating properties that act as a wonder to remove yellow nails. Always keep in mind that only a 3 percent of hydrogen peroxide can be used in treating the problem.
- Add ½ cup of water to 4 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, stir it well and soak your nails in this solution for about 3 – 4 minutes. Scrub well and rinse it with water. Do this method at least once in a week for improvement.
- Hydrogen peroxide is directly applied on the yellow toenails or nails to remove stubborn stains. Apply it and scrub it with a soft brush smoothly for a while and wash it off.
- Dear readers, do not forget to compulsorily apply moisturizer after using hydrogen peroxide as it has the tendency to dehydrate the nails causing nails to be brittle and weak.
Remedy – 3: Toothpaste
Toothpaste not only helps in removing yellow stains on teeth but also make your yellow nails shiny and white.
- Apply a little amount of toothpaste on the toenails or nails and allow it to rest for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Using a smooth nail brush, scrub your nails lightly.
- Soak a cotton ball in warm water and remove the toothpaste.
- Try to follow this procedure 3 times a week regularly for a month and see the positive results.
Remedy – 4: Baking Soda
Many women may not be aware of how to get rid of yellow toe nails by simply using baking soda which is easily available. Bleaching and exfoliating properties in baking soda help in removing yellow stains on the nails.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda, ½ teaspoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and stir well to make a fine smooth paste. Gently rub this onto your nails using a soft brush. Let it rest for five minutes and slowly rinse it with warm water. Do this method for two weeks.
- Take a small bowl, add 1 tablespoon of 3 percent of hydrogen peroxide, 2 ½ tablespoons of baking soda and mix them well into a paste.
- By using a cotton ball apply the paste on the yellow stained nails. Leave it for 3 – 4 minutes and wash it well with lukewarm water.
- The procedure should be repeated every 6 to 8 weeks.
Remedy – 5: Denture Cleaning Tablets
NaHCO3 commonly known as Sodium Bicarbonate, and Citric acid are the two major common ingredients found in denture cleaning tablets. These two play a major role in removing the stains on nails.
- Take a bowl of lukewarm water dissolve 3 denture cleaning tablets in it.
- For about 15 minutes soak your stained nails in the warm water.
- Apply moisturizer after thoroughly drying your nails to make them supple and smooth.
- Repeat this remedy regularly, at least for about 3 times a week.
Remedy – 6: Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is the best home remedy to be practiced, for yellow stained nails which are a result of fungal infection. It is a natural fungicide and has antimicrobial and antiseptic features that help in fighting infection. It also aids in restoring the natural color of the nails.
- Apply tea tree oil onto your nails using an eye Wash it with warm water after 5 minutes and follow this action twice daily to get good results for several months till you notice the change.
- Mix few drops of tea tree oil in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Use a cotton pad and apply this oil mix and rub it gently on the nails for few seconds.
- Rinse well and practice this routine twice daily till you get complete relief from fungal infection and yellow nails.
Remedy – 7: Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar by its nature is very acetic and contains malic acid which when used helps in nail discoloration. It has great properties such as being antiseptic, antimicrobial and antifungal that aids in treating the infection on nails. It helps to strengthen and stables pH of the nails and one need not worry much about how to get rid of yellow toenails.
- Take a bowlful of warm water and add ½ cup of apple cider vinegar to it and mix it well.
- Dip your nails into the mix for about 15 – 20 minutes and clean it with cloth or cotton.
- Repeat this process 3 times every day until you find an improvement or get rid of the infection and discoloration of nails.
Note: Alternatively, you can mix Listerine and vinegar in equal portion and soak your nails in it for 20 – 30 minutes. Do this once daily till you find relief.
Remedy – 8: Orange Peel
Orange peel has a rich source of vitamin C in it which helps in removing stains on your nails.
- Take a blender, put the pulp extracted from the peels, add little water to it and make it a fine
- The orange peel paste should be softly rubbed on the stained nails for few minutes.
- Let it dry for 30 minutes, wash it off with warm water. Continue it for 2 weeks till u notice the
Note: Alternatively, you can also use orange peel powder and add water to make it into a paste and do the same procedure like above points to clean it for best results.
Remedy – 9: Juniper Berries
Juniper Berries can effectively treat yellow toenails or nails as it works as a strong disinfectant, to treat fungal infections.
- Crush few Juniper Berries and mix them in a bowl of warm water.
- Soak your nails in the bowl for about 15 minutes.
- Wash your hands with warm water and apply a good moisturizer to the infected nails to make them soft.
- You can practice this remedy every day before sleep for few months till you find complete relief.
Remedy – 10: Listerine
Listerine has menthol, methyl, salicylate, thymol, and eucalyptol as active ingredients which are rich in antifungal properties and they effectively treat yellow nails which are caused by fungal infections.
- Dip the infected nails in 100 percent of Listerine for about 30 minutes. Repeat this process every alternate week.
- The skin around the nail can turn green but there is nothing to worry about as it will fade out on its own in few days.
- Another way to make the best use of Listerine is to mix it with hydrogen peroxide to form a solvent.
- Dip cotton into the solution and rub this on the infected nails gently for few seconds.
- You can wrap the nails with the cotton for a better
Impressions and Conclusions:
As a writer, I always suggest my reader take necessary precautions and live a hygienic life to avoid the suffering. The problem may be a small one which can have solutions in the form of home remedies or cure or medications. But it is always said that prevention is better than cure. It teaches us to take measures to prevent and also get out from all sorts of hazards. Preventive measures definitely help us to save our time, effort, money and importantly health.
Although the article is based on the needs of the reader who comes in search for quick home remedies for yellow toenails and how to get rid of yellow nailsin a simpler way, still there are certain dos and don’ts when you are following the remedies. I advise my reader to even take a brief look at it as it can help you heal better and faster.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Avoid applying nail polishes that are dark, instead, use light ones or no color ones to your nails. Nails should be given enough time to recover to its normal form.
- Only use a base coat to nails as a shield between nails and the nail polish. It helps to prevent the stains and keep healthy nails.
- Keep in mind always to use a buffing board to remove the top layer of the nails to let the discoloration fade away on the nails.
- Remember always to rub or scrub your nails gently and smoothly. Over scrubbing can make your nails brittle and weak and crack.
- Home remedies for yellow toenails mentioned in my article should be followed for few days to few weeks and not more than that. Taking a break in between the practices is highly advised.
- Treatments or remedies should always be followed with an application of moisturizer for keeping your nails and skin around smooth and supple and importantly from not becoming dry.
- Drink adequate water and also include natural foods containing vitamins like B & E, calcium, iron and zinc along with other fresh vegetables and fruits in your daily diet. This only aids in preventing yellow nails.
- Never bite your nails, follow tips to take care of your nails on a daily basis.
- Fungal infections can be prevented by washing your hands few times daily and applying moisturizer before sleeping.
- Quitting intake of tobacco, smoking, and drinking alcohol can yield larger benefits to your overall health and also help your nails.
- Lastly, it is always advised to visit a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment if your problem persists for a longer period or even by following few home remedies. Sometimes, internal disorder or deficiencies too can lead to yellow nails.