Seasoned Indian golfer SSP Chawrasia will go for another round of COVID-19 testing on Tuesday to rest assured after he was tested positive for the deadly virus last week, putting a spanner on his plans to compete on the European Tour.
A four-time winner on the European Tour, including back-to-back Indian Open triumphs in 2016 and 2017, Chawrasia tested positive last Friday after he had to go for a mandatory test as part of immigration requirements.
“I got tested on Thursday and on Friday the hospital called me to say I am COVID-19 positive. But I don’t have any symptoms and I am absolutely fine,” Chawrasia told IANS on Monday.
“I will go for another test on Tuesday. I and my wife will go for the COVID-19 test. Let’s hope it comes out negative. I just want to be on the safer side,” the 42-year-old added.
Shubhankar Sharma is the only other Indian participating in Europe at the moment, with events in India and on Asian Tour on hold.
“I was supposed to fly to England tonight. I won’t travel anywhere now, it depends on the report after I go for another test tomorrow. I have already withdrawn myself from two tournaments. The English Open and there is one more in Wales.
“I won’t be competing in those two competitions anymore. There is one more tournament in Wales after that,” said Chawrasia who had played four events this year before the lockdown and finished tied 22nd, tied 32nd, tied 25th, and tied 28th.